Friday, 21 August 2026
Breaking News
JAINS DEMAND CLOSURE OF SLAUGHTERHOUSES ON SAMVATSARI 15TH SEPTEMBER WOMEN WELFARE SOCIETY PREPARES 1,000 SPECIAL RAKHIS FOR BRAVE SOLDIERS PUNJAB SCHOOLS TO LEAD YEAR-LONG ‘YUDH NASHEAN VIRUDH’ CAMPAIGN WITH ANTI-DRUG AWARENESS ACTIVITIES पेंशनभोगी 30 सितम्बर तक प्रस्तुत कर सकते हैं जीवन प्रमाण-पत्र PUNJAB BANDH GETS STRONG RESPONSE IN FEROZEPUR AROUND 1,000 YOUTHS PARTICIPATE IN AGNIVEER RECRUITMENT RALLY ON DAY FIVE DELHI CYBER POLICE ARRESTEDTWO FEMALES IN DATING APP-BASED CHEATING & MOBILE PHONE THEFT CASE HARYANA : HANSI’S DUAL DISTRICT STATUS SPARKS LEGAL QUESTIONS DR. SS TANTIA'S BIRTH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATED AS 'SERVICE DAY' CONGRESS SEVA DAL REMEMBERS RAJIV GANDHI ON HIS 82ND BIRTH ANNIVERSARY
Punjab Trending

PUNJAB BANDH GETS STRONG RESPONSE IN FEROZEPUR

Vikram Ditya Sharma/Ferozepur

Markets, private schools and several business establishments remained closed across Ferozepur district on Thursday in response to the Punjab bandh call given by the Qaumi Insaaf Morcha for the release of Sikh prisoners who have completed their sentences.

The bandh remained peaceful and no untoward incident was reported from anywhere in the district. Protesters blocked Octroi No. 7, a key exit point towards Zira and Ludhiana, disrupting traffic and raising slogans against the government. Public transport services also remained suspended, leaving several passengers stranded.

Government offices and institutions functioned normally, while private schools remained closed. In Zira and Guruharsahai too, markets remained shut and the bandh passed off peacefully.

Lakhbir Singh Mahalam of the Qaumi Insaaf Morcha said people across the district had extended full support to the bandh.

SSP Bhupinder Singh said adequate security arrangements had been made across the district and no untoward incident was reported.Gurcharan Singh Bhullar

Meanwhile President SAD (A) and member of “Panthak Talmel Committee” appealed to the Centre and Punjab governments to immediately release Sikh prisoners who, have spent nearly 30 years in jail. He also demanded withdrawal of cases registered against those who participated in the “Qaumi Insaaf Morcha protests” in Chandigarh on August 15, alleging that protesters were subjected to a lathi charge and drone attacks. He further called for strict measures to improve law and order, curb drug abuse among youth and stop incidents of robbery, snatching and killings in the state.